The salesman nodded, “may I help you?”
“I’m just looking for my husband,” I said while scanning the store.
“Well,” he grabbed a nearby associate, “we have a few eligible ones left. What characteristics are you looking for?”
My cheeks burned as his words registered. Those within earshot had a good laugh. 🙂
Hmm, characteristics …
I could detail my husband’s great characteristics. I’d love to dive into God’s. But to stay on topic, I better stick with the “resultant state” God desires to see in us.
Herbert Lockyer writes about the developing traits in the one separated unto God:
- There will be separation from all known sin and enmity to God (James 4:4).
- There will be a growing resemblance to God. Our immediate goal is conformity to Christ (Romans 8:28, 29). Our ultimate goal is perfect likeness to Him (1 John 3:2).
- Study of God’s Word will be a delight (Psalm 1:2, 3).
- There will be a well-ordered life. Christ’s fragrance will permeate every phase of life (2 Corinthians 2:14).
- There will be a steadfast resolution to follow Christ all the way. We prefer sanctity to safety (Job 27:6).
- There will be a manifestation of the Holy Spirit’s fruit and favor (Galations 5:22-24; Hebrews 13:21).
These are the believer’s responsibility. What do you think the result of sanctification is not?
Every step in our spiritual growth of this practical sanctification brings great joy to our heavenly Father. I love the following verse:
“The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:17
The following link shows Carrie Underwood singing, How Great Thou Art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pLLMzr3PFgk.
I think it’s a great Valentine tribute to our Lord.
I pray that we grasp how great our Creator’s love is for us.