Have you ever stumbled out of bed in the middle of the night and ran into a wall? I’ve done that a few times, mostly when away from the familiarity of my home. . . . Thank goodness for light!
Light . . . I love seeing the sunlight streaming through the clouds, painting the evening sky. I love viewing God’s creation in radiant color and clarity. I also enjoy the sun’s warmth on a cool day, and the ability to see while biking so I don’t crash into the bushes.
For all of you trivia fans, here are some interesting facts about the sun (source: http://www.goldenkstar.com/facts/sun-interesting-facts.htm):
- The sun makes up 99.86% of the mass of our solar system.
- The energy being emitted from 1 square centimeter of the sun’s surface is enough to burn 64 light bulbs of 100 watt.
- The earth receives 94 billion megawatt of energy from the sun. This is equivalent to 40,000 times the power requirement of the United States.
- It takes up to 50 million years for energy produced at the core of the sun to reach its surface.
- If a drop sized matter from the core of the sun is placed on the surface of the earth, no living organism will survive for a distance of 150 km from that drop.
- An area of the sun’s surface the size of a postage stamp shines with the power of 1,500,000 candles. . . . That’s a lot of candles!
Shortly after the last night of the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles celebration—where large torches lit up the skyline—Jesus spoke to the people from the temple where offerings were placed (John 8:20). Candles were burned here to symbolize the pillar of fire that led the Israelites through the desert at night (Exodus 13:21-22). The pillar of fire represented God’s presence, protection, and guidance. In this context, Jesus said:
I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” – John 8:12
Without Christ, we are spiritually lost due to our sin. This ends in spiritual death and eternal separation from God. I doubt we can fathom just how dark and horrible such an existence is.
Is Jesus the light of your world? He will lead you to safety, wisdom, victory, and truth.