My family and I enjoyed visiting the Okanagan Valley and West Kootenay region of B.C. Thanksgiving week. Kootenay Lake, Slocan Lake, and Arrow Lake—nestled between giant mountain peaks—stretch on for miles. The pine blanketed forests and rugged wilderness reminds me of God’s great creativity and power.
The holidays can bring both joy and stress. Amidst busy preparations and seasonal activities, I hope we’ll all find time to relax and delve a little deeper into God’s Christmas treasures.
Last Christmas I bought a short reading guide, The Christmas Story, published by Zondervan in 2010. It highlights Messiah prophecies to the miraculous birth of Jesus. This book also features questions and summaries to help individuals and families better understand corresponding Scripture passages. The following references may be adapted according to your schedule and/or family’s ages.
Christmas Scripture Reading Plan
Old Testament Prophecies and Background of Messiah’s Coming
- God’s Promise to David: 2 Samuel 7:1-17
- The Sign of Immanuel: Isaiah 7:10-8:10
- A Child Is Born: Isaiah 9:1-7
- God’s People Ask for Salvation: Psalm 80:1-19
- The Branch from Jessie: Isaiah 11:1-10
- God Will Come To Save: Isaiah 35:1-10
- A Promised Ruler from Bethlehem: Micah 5:1-5
Events Surrounding and Including Jesus’ Birth
- The Birth of John Foretold: Luke 1:5-25
- An Angel Announces Jesus’ Birth: Luke 1:26-56
- Joseph Has a Dream: Matthew 1:18-25
- The Birth of John the Baptist: Luke 1:57-80
- The Birth of Jesus: Luke 2:1-7
- The Shepherds and the Angels: Luke 2:8-20
- Mary and Joseph Present Jesus at the Temple: Luke 2:21-40
- The Visit of the Magi: Matthew 2:1-12
Jesus: The Son of God and Channel of God’s Loving Forgiveness
- Jesus, the Son of God, is Baptized: Matthew 3:13-17
- From the Beginning: John 1:1-18
- God’s Great Gift of Love: John 3:1-21
- Jesus Christ Is Supreme: Colossians 1:15-20
- “Let All God’s Angels Worship Him”: Hebrews 1:1-14
May God’s great love and redemption plan seep into our hearts this Christmas . . . . I love the following rendition of Drummer Boy.
You have released a wonderful holiday exercise unto your readers. I will respond with another resource.
Thanks so much for sharing!