Hi friends! I hope this Friday finds you well. The following is a recap from last week’s post:
- Evangelism is not reserved just for the pastor or professional.
- The gifts of teaching and evangelism are closely related.
- Only God can save and transform souls.
- Although living a quiet, godly life honors God, evangelism requires words—with respect and gentleness—in addition to service.
- Leslie Flynn, 19 Gifts of the Spirit, defines evangelism:
The gift of proclaiming the Good News of salvation effectively so that people respond to the claims of Christ in conversion and in discipleship.”
What is this Good News Message?
The short, but sweet truth: Jesus came to save us!
This message should appeal to both the emotions and intellect. A longer version, such as below, tells of the historic event that can bring incomparable riches both today and in the future:
Jesus Christ—God and man—died on the cross for my sins over nineteen centuries ago. He was buried and rose the third day. If through faith, I receive Christ as my Savior, God will declare me righteous through Jesus’ shedding of His blood. God the Father will accept His Son’s sacrifice as full satisfaction for the guilt and penalty of my sin. This is a free gift, which can’t be earned or deserved. Because I am no longer under the penalty of the Old Covenant’s broken law, I am pardoned once and for all. God also adopts me as His child. He strengthens me through the ministry of His Holy Spirit, which indwells and regenerates my inner being.
What are some Bible verses that speak about our fallen, sinful nature and God’s plan to save/redeem us?
The following verses speak about our sin and the wages of sin, God’s grace and justification, provision and salvation through faith in Jesus Christ:
- Wages of sin: Romans 5:12; Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23a
- God’s wrath & spiritual death toward the disbelieving: John 3:36; 1 John 5:12-13
- Grace and justification: Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 3:24; Romans 6:23b
- Jesus’ provision for our sin: Romans 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; John 3:17
- Eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ: John 3:36a; John 3:16; John 1:12; Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 6:23; Romans 10:8-10; 1 John 5:11
- Confession of belief in Christ: Romans 10:10; Matthew 10:32
Next week I’ll explore more on this topic. Have a wonderful week!